About Trip Permits

Get an instant price on your trip, fuel, and oversize or overweight trip permits.

What are temporary trip permits?

Trip permits, a term that is often used broadly, are state-issued temporary licenses that allow owners to operate unlicensed and commercial vehicles. There are several different reasons one may need a temporary permit, including for new and unregistered vehicles, temporary fuel license, and highway use.


The International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) enables IFTA-registered vehicles to operate in all 48 contiguous states and Canadian provinces by recording mileage traveled in each state.

A Fuel Permit is required when:


The International Registration Plan (IRP) is an agreement between states and provinces to recognize motor vehicles registered in other jurisdictions (other states and provinces). This allows registered commercial vehicles to travel through multiple jurisdictions with one license plate.

When traveling out of state, a trip permit is required when: